Friday, April 29, 2005

Does Houston have a sense of 'sacredness'?

Joel Kotkin's new book, "The City: A Global History", is out, and it talks about how great cities are sacred, safe, and busy. Houston is reasonably safe, and we're certainly busy, but do we have a sense of 'sacredness'? His definition:
"Being sacred is really the sense that a city is unique, which engenders loyalty and pride. If city leaders and the populace don’t have a sense of passion about where they live, then people will not invest in it."

He has an interesting quote in a a recent interview where he's talking about sacredness and LA (where he lives):
"I just came back from Fargo, North Dakota, where I was impressed by the sense of importance and commitment among a broad spectrum of people. Cities like Houston, which does not have the natural blessings that Los Angeles has, have a sense of mission and uniqueness that we lack."

Setting aside LA's "natural blessings" of drought, wildfires, mudslides, and earthquakes, I'm curious if people out there really feel Houstonians have a "sense of mission and uniqueness"? I tend to think so - but then I'm the author of this blog, which pretty much puts me out of the mainstream. I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments section.

1 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, June 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still not over the "natural blessings" thing yet, and it's been 10 minutes since I read it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home