Tripling the value of the Clear Lake Metro Park-and-RideI know I've been a little thin on new content recently, something I hope to rectify soon. In the meantime, here is a small new 'strategy' for Houston Metro: move the Clear Lake P&R lot from Bay Area Blvd. to the Space Center Houston parking lots.
Here are the benefits:
- Express commuter buses could now carry passengers both ways with NASA employees and contractors that live up in Houston doing the reverse commute. They could walk to the NASA campus easily from Space Center Houston (or even take the Rocket Park trams).
- Tourists to Houston would be able to access our #1 attraction with a single express bus ride to/from downtown (or maybe even Uptown and/or TMC). This is especially helpful to convention and business travelers that may not rent a car. And the increase in tourism traffic may also be incentive for Space Center Houston to offer the use of the lot to Metro at substantially discounted or even free rates.
- Space Center Houston has plenty of empty parking on weekdays *and* has plenty of land for expansion to the west (and some to the east). From the satellite map it looks like it might even be an expansion vs. the existing Bay Area P&R. Here's an aerial view of the Space Center Houston parking lot, and here's one for the existing Bay Area P&R lot (use the zoom out button for a better view).
- It's right where the NASA 1 Bypass freeway spur ends for fast access to/from I45.
- The Bay Area P&R land could be sold off for a tidy sum.
UPDATE 6/8/15: Another benefit - how about connecting here to Galveston on Island Transit?